Welcome to St Mary's Parish Primary School
"Education is not a filling of the pail but a lighting of the fire."
Welcome to the St Mary's Parish Primary School website. Thank you for taking the time to get to know a little more about our wonderful school community.
St Mary's is a Catholic primary school in the Diocese of Ballarat for students from Foundation to Year Six. At St Mary's, we believe that positive, nurturing and open relationships are at the heart of our community. Educationalist James Comer stated, "No significant learning happens without a significant relationship." The hallmark of any great educator is the ability to develop profound and productive relationships with the children they teach. The staff at St Mary's strive each and every day to build these relationships with our students and their families and I am honoured to work with an outstanding group of educators who work tirelessly to meet the needs of every child and create a safe and nurturing educational environment.
As a Catholic school, our faith underpins all our actions; the way in which we engage with others and the care we show for our world. We welcome families into our community; we seek to be a school that proposes rather than imposes a perspective on the importance of our Catholic faith in daily life. We encourage our students to be critically reflective and to learn to identify, challenge and appreciate the way in which faith and life interact. We encourage our students to be critical thinkers and productive, compassionate and active members of contemporary Australian society. We strive to develop young people who are active learners and young people who use their gifts and talents to make the world a better place. As Nelson Mandela said, "Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world."
St Mary’s Parish Primary School is a Child Safe environment.
Our community promotes the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all children.
P.O. Box 329
ARARAT VIC 3377
Phone: (03) 5352 1796
Fax: (03) 5352 3401
PRINCIPAL UPDATE - COVID-19 & REMOTE LEARNING
During the Stage-Three lockdown and the return to remote learning, St Mary's Parish Primary School will continue to follow the advice of the Chief Health Officer and the CECV (Catholic Education Commission of Victoria) in relation to the requirements for rural and regional Victorian schools:
- Additional hygiene protocols: no visitors or parents will be able to come onto the school site unless deemed essential
- Onsite supervision will be provided for the children of parents who cannot work from home, where both parents are required to be at their normal work place and cannot work from home.
- Supervision will also be provided to vulnerable children as per the criteria provided by DHHS.
- Requests for onsite supervision must be made to the Principal or Deputy Principals.
- Children learning onsite will be work in small groups and follow the guidelines provided by the Chief Health officer. Children will be expected to wash their hands frequently and use hand sanitizer. Children will be supervised by a VIT registered teacher.
- The playground will be cleaned daily and will not be available for use by those outside the school community.
- Additional cleaning of high touch areas and toilets will be conducted by the school's cleaning contractors.
- Students onsite will have the temperature checked on entry. Any child with a high temperature or displaying signs of illness will need to be collected by their parent or caregiver.
- Staff at school will wear masks, except when engaged in the act of teaching
- Remote Learning will be provided for children and wherever possible, the number of staff onsite will be kept to a minimum
‘learning for all, fairness for all, compassion for all’